It’s up to us as humans to take sensible steps to lessen the damage of climate change. Doing nothing will cost us significantly more—losing the planet Earth.
It’s simple: Reduce, Recycle, Reuse!
By keeping this three-word mantra in mind, you can make significantly lessen your impact on the planet. Here’s 10 simple tips to help you reduce your carbon footprint!
- Turn it off—Lights, televisions, videos, stereos and computers don’t need power when they are not in use. Did you know they can use 10%-40% of the power when on standby? Also, you should unplug chargers as soon as they have finished charging.
- Be exact!—Use only as much water or electricity as you need.
- Check your tires—Properly inflated tires can improve your car’s fuel efficiency.
- Reduce your plastic use—Use cloth bags when going shopping or refill plastic bottles.
- Use a fan—Instead of using air conditioners in the summer, wear cool clothes and use a fan.
- Drive less—Do your weekly errands in a single trip, or pay your bills online. Walk, bike, ride the bus, or carpool!
- Optimize your speed—You will consume 25% less fuel if you drive no more than 60 miles per hour.
- Replace your light bulbs—Use Compact Fluorescent light bulbs (CFL). They may cost more but they use less than a third of the power that incandescent bulbs do.
- Eat locally—Choose food produced close to home, or did not have to be shipped using fossil fuels.
- Recycle—Consume less, re-use what you can, and participate in your local recycling and trash programs.